Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Years Day Barleywine 2012

We started a tradition a year ago of brewing barleywine at my friend's house on New Years Day. It makes for a REALLY FRIGGIN' COLD brew day in Wisconsin, but that's alright. It's a lot of fun and good company as well!

I decided to do my best to emulate J.W. Lee's Harvest Ale, which is one of my favorite beers and probably my favorite barley wine along with Thomas Hardy's Ale. I took a recipe Gordon Strong published in Zumurgy in 2010 and bumped up the gravity to push it into the ridiculously strong/sweet range!

It tasted good enough out of the secondary that I ended up bottling it still. So far it is on track to age into something great. I just have to be patient enough not to drink it all now!

New Years Day Barleywine 2012

brewed on: 11/1/12
OG: 1.137
IBUs: 45.5 IBUs
SRM:  23.5
mash temp: 152F
 

6 gallon batch
90 minute boil
57% efficiency assumed

malt:
12 lbs Pale
12 lbs Vienna
1.5 lbs Amber malt
1.5 lbs Carapils
1.5 lbs Victory
1.5 lbs Wheat malt (German)
1.25 lbs Dark Crystal (Simpsons)
6 oz Extra Dark Crystal (Simpsons)
1 lb Turbinado sugar
3 lbs Extra Light DME - 10 minutes


hops:
50 g Nugget @ 13% - 60 minutes
16 g Willamette @ 4.8% - 45 minutes
14.1 g Fuggles @ 5.1% - 30 minutes
30 g Willamette @ 4.8% - 5 minutes




yeast:
East Coast Yeast Scottish Heavy starter (repitched into starter from 2 previous batches)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment