Sunday, March 11, 2012

Brandy Barrel Archaic Beer

I brewed a collaboration recipe from Sean Paxton (Homebrew Chef) and Urbain of De Struise. It was their 'Archaic Beer' meant to pay homage to beers like De Dolle's Oerbier. My original batch turned out great 2 years ago and my friend Jesse & I decided to do a 12 gallon batch to fill up my 10+ gallon brandy barrel. The main difference from last time was that we went with the Wyeast Belgian Stout strain rather than a starter made from Pannepot dregs like last time. I also opted for Dark Candi sugar (syrup) rather than the piloncillo sugar I used last time. Here's the recipe:

Archaic Beer #2

brewed on: 3/11/12
OG: 1.092
IBUs: 24 IBUs
SRM:  34
mash temp: 150F (would have preferred higher, but we undershot a bit)
 

12 gallon batch
60 minute boil
70% efficiency assumed

malt:
27.2 lbs Belgian pale
3.6 lbs flaked oats
2.25 lbs Caramunich
1.7 lbs flaked wheat
1.5 lbs flaked barley
1.4 lbs Dark crystal (Simpsons)
1.4 lbs Extra dark crystal (Simpsons)
1.13 lbs Crystal 20L
0.57 lbs Black malt (Simpsons)


1 lb D90 candi sugar
1 lb D180 candi sugar
 

hops:
118.6 g Styrian Goldings 
yeast:
Wyeast Belgian Stout (limited release)

 fermented 3 weeks in primary, then racked to 10+ gallon brandy barrel

No comments:

Post a Comment